When I first got my HTC HD7 Windows Phone 7 device I discovered the Zune sync didn’t work for getting photo’s and video off the phone. I could get stuff onto it fine, music synced fine, and all the app stuff worked, just no pictures/video came off the phone.
Apparently I wasn’t alone, it appears a number of HTC users have had the same problem. I tried a number of Google searches for a solution but didn’t find any quick answers on how to fix it. Eventually I stumbled upon the post I linked above at the Microsoft Answers site and after digging through the posts I found the solution.
Apparently the problem is to do with file associations for images and video on the PC (nothing to do with the phone). I had jpg and other image files set to be opened with an old copy of Paint Shop Pro I bought years ago, not the default programs Windows normally has associated with these file types. Once I reset the file associations for the images and video, the sync starting working again.
I’ve since been able to reset Paint Shop Pro to be associated with those file types again, and the sync is still working. So, if you’re having this problem, try resetting your file associations for the afflicted media file types. A reboot before attempting to sync again may also be required (I can’t recall now).
As pointed out by ‘Ashedd’ on the relevant Microsoft Answers post, here’s the steps to reset your file associations;
WARNING: Altering your registry incorrectly can cause serious problems with your Windows operating system. If you are not confident of your ability to make these changes or recover from a serious software failure, get someone more experienced to help you or Google for other ways to reset your file associations.
- Click Start , and then click All Programs.
- Click Accessories, and then click Run.
- Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
- In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- In the right-hand pane, double-click (Default).
- In the Value data box, enter jpegfile and then clickOK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Try to sync a photo\video taken with the phone.